Home Forums Ideas & Tips Animals, Pets

This topic contains 34 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Smile Therapy 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Great Toy

One of the best toys ever is a simple $2 tennis ball with a squeeky in it. I bought one at Pet Depot. The dogs love the chewy, but unbreakable texture, as well as the in and out compression of the tennis ball. The squeak adds a 2nd “extra feature” that my Chocolate Labs LOVE!

TS, Upstate NY, USA

• This topic was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Smile Therapy.
    • This topic was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Smile Therapy.

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Did you know that ………

dogs do not perspire by panting? Dogs sweat through the pads of their feet, giving off and odor reminiscent of stale popcorn.

The Dog Daily, http://www.thedogdaily.com

ST – Staff

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Introducing your pet to another …..

Whether or not your pets get along depend on their personalities. Your current pet may view a new pet as a threat; there may be a few scuffles as each animal establishes his “place in the pack”. Do not interrupt them if there is no danger of injury, and provided they are supervised at all times.

Some pets will merely tolerate each other. Others will become great companions (like my own two dogs and cat). Here are a few tips for introducing a new pet into your home.

Always supervise your pets until you are absolutely sure they get along. Until then, separate your pets by confining at least one of them to its own room. Only allow them to interact with each other with your supervision. It may take them hours, days, weeks, or even months for your pets to adjust fully to one another.

Introduce your pets indoors in controlled situations. Keep your dogs on a leash and do not tolerate any aggressive behaviour. If you are introducing a cat to a dog, do not allow the dog to chase or corner the cat – even if it’s out of playfulness or curiosity.

When introducing a cat to a dog, do NOT hold the cat in your arms. A frightened or nervous cat may scratch.

Allow your new pet to familiarize itself with its new home. Temporarily confine existing pets to a room to give your new pet a chance to feel more comfortable with its surroundings.

Give your pets separate food and water bowls. If you are introducing cats, also provide separate litter boxes. Feed your new and existing pets in different locations.

Be especially careful when introducing dogs or cats to caged animals. Dogs and cats can live in harmony with rabbies, guinea pigs, birds, etc… but please introduce them under strictly controlled supervision. Keep in mind that cats are very agile, so placing a cage high up on a shelf doesn’t necessarily protect the caged pet. Don’t take any chances – one mistake could be fatal to your caged pet.

Give them time. Do not try to force your pets together; allow them to adjust at their own pace. Give all your pets – particularly the new one – time to gain confidence and decide when to face his or her new housemates.

Steve B. – Syracuse

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Did you know that…..

one million dogs in the US have been named as the primary beneficiaries in their owners’ wills?

ST – Staff

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

For future holidays…..If you are not going on vaction and will be local …..

Call your realtors/customers and the ones you are trying to get in the door for the first time and tell them this:::::

“This Memorial Day weekend I want you to know that I want your business and I will be here all weekend, friday, Saturday and Sunday night as well on the Holiday Monday for you to call me if you need my help.

Come Tuesday, they will be calling on you wanting your business.

Most people don’t have the guts or the work ethic to do this.

ST – Staff

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Things We Can Learn From Dogs

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride.
    Allow the experience of fresh air &
    the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
    When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
    When it’s in your best interest, practice obedience.
    Let others know when they’ve invaded your territory.
    Take naps & stretch before rising.
    Run, romp & play daily.
    Eat with gusto & enthusiasm.
    Be Loyal.
    Never pretend to be something you’re not.
    If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
    When someone is having a bad day, be silent,
    sit close by & nuzzle them gently.
    Thrive on attention & let people touch you.
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
    On hot days, drink lots of water & lay under a shady tree.
    When you’re happy, dance around & wag your entire body.
    No matter how often you’re scolded,
    don’t buy into the guilt thing & pout…
    run right back & make friends.
    Bond with your pack.
    Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

-Author Unknown

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Flea Removal from Pet

To remove fleas that you may find on your pet(even if you use flea medicine they still get on but they dont reproduce)…. Use VASELINE!

Have a jar next to you, put some on your finger–just touch the flea and it will stick to it–it will suffocate the flea so you don t have to struggle with it to kill it. I ve done it several times and it does work! It is especially useful if you have a pet that comes from the pound and has fleas but is still too young for flea medicine.

Julie R,Oswego,NY

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Dog Poop on Rug

This works best on a loose shag carpet.

To clean poop of a rug or carpet

Get a firm metal SPATULA.

It comes off very clean with minimal mess.

Jackie, Syracuse,NY

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Attention ALL DOG Owners….

Does your dog have any health ailments??

allergies, itchy skin, ear problems, etc etc

Go here

http://curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=973739#i

Apple cider Vinegar…. who knew??

Note:: make sure you buy ther good stuff (Organic, with the “mother”)

Braggs is one ofthe popular brands.

T A Smith, ST Staff

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Funny Dog Site

How do they do this?

Go

http://www.idodogtricks.com/index_flash.html

Audrey R, Syracuse

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

For all Cat lovers

Here is something you will enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY0MSuyaKMk

T A Smith, ST Staff

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Dog Tip

1. When your dog is overheated, put his/her paws in cool water.
    2. If not able to do that, I spray the patio with water for them to walk on.
    3. Or bring your dog over to the hose, and “water” his feet. 🙂

Grammie

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Possible Tick Removal idea?

A School Nurse has written the info below — good enough to share — and it really works!!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best
    way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where
    it’s some times difficult to get to with tweezers:
    between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the
    tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few
    seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on it’s own and
    be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

This technique has worked every time I’ve used it (and
    that was frequently), and it’s much less traumatic for
    the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can’t see that
    this would be damaging in any way. I even had my
    doctor’s wife call me for advice because she had one
    stuck to her back and she couldn’t reach it with
    tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me
    back to say, ‘It worked!’

Please pass this on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.

Franz, Boston, Ma

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Anyone own a PARROT?

If anyone owns a parrot, or thinking of buying one.. they may benefit from this

http://www.squidoo.com/parrot-training

from the ‘net

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

For Dog Walkers and Dog Lovers

10 reasons why walking dogs is Extremely Beneficial…. for all

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/The_Top_Ten_Reasons_To_Take_The_Dogs_For_A_Walk.html

AL, Romulus, NY

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Keep DEER away from your garden

Put scented dryer sheets tied onto a string, wrapped around your garden.

The smell will keep the deer away.

DM, Camillus NY

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

BUGS

SPRAYING WHITE VINEGAR ALL AROUND YOUR FRONT DOOR AND WINDOWS WILL KILL-EM..1-2-3!!!

Sharon S Delraybeach, Fl..

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Easy travel lint/pet hair remover

This one came from my dad. When traveling you can use the long taped tags that the airline baggage checkers put on the handle of your luggage to remove pet hair or lint from your clothes. It’s good recycling! Then just throw the tape away.

CJ from Boston

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Got Fleas, BUT hate to use Chemicals????

A couple of ideas that help in getting rid of flea infestations WITHOUT using harsh chemicals:
    A) Dawn dishwashing soap and water in a baking pan placed on the floor~ once the fleas land in the water Dawn removes their ability to get out.
    B) Salt & Baby Powder~ Sprinkle salt all over the carpet (dehydrates the eggs), then cover carpet with Baby Powder (smothers the juvenile fleas), leave on carpet three days, then vaccum.
    I’ve used this for three summers, it is CHEAPER & SAFER then using pesticides!

James D. Vancouver WA

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

How to deal with Messy Eating Cats

My cat is a messy eater so I used to put a small tray under his dishes. The tray would catch most of the mess but was often a time-consuming pain to clean off, wash, and dry, so I often put it off for way too long. One day I was throwing out one of the many small catalogs that arrives in my mailbox and realized I could just open it to the center and put the cat\’s dishes on top. The catalog is thin, and when it comes time to clean up, I just rip out the center pages and throw them away. The catalog is then open to the center again, which keeps the pages evenly distributed and the dishes level. I’m so glad I finally found a way to recycle those catalogs and the cat has a new, pretty placemat every few days. The catalogs could also be replaced with old magazines as long as they aren\’t too thick.

Dottie

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Great Dog Video.. a must see

Check this dog out having an incredible time playing in the snow

maniacworld.com/dog-having-a-blast-in-the-snow.html

Bob L, New Jersey

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Pet Medications. $$ Saver

I called a pet catalog company and asked them to send me their latest catalog. When the catalog arrived, I noted the prices for all the vaccines and heartworm pills my two dogs needed for the year.

When it was time to take my dogs to the vet for their yearly vaccines and heartworm pills, I quoted the pet catalog prices for those items to the vet and told him he could either give my dogs the items for the prices I quoted for them or I would order them from the pet catalog. The vet gave my dogs these items for the prices I quoted him. This saved me $15 on the heartworm pills for each dog, for total savings of $30. Plus the cost of the vaccines each dog needed was much less, too. The total amount I saved for both dogs was over $50. I will do this every year at vaccine and heartworm pill refill time.

Lori S in Wisconsin

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Help With Pet care

With such tight money times, it can be stressful to provide the care needed to keep our pets healthy. If you are anywhere near a Humane Society animal shelter, give them a call. Vet checkups, spay and neutering services, shots and even flea and heart worm preventative medications can be purchased for about half the price of the neighborhood vet. Support your vet when you can, but if the choice is find a cheaper way or neglect your pet, call the Humane Society. I have also heard that many food banks are now providing dog and cat food. If you are really in a bind, give them a call and get some help to keep your loved ones healthy.

Beth, USA

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Pigeon Patrol

We have a large pigeon population here and they wreak havoc with small ponds and water fountains. To combat the problem, I hang old software CDs (like those from AOL) on a fishing line so they can twirl in the breeze. The movement keeps the pigeons at bay, leaving the ponds and fountains free from droppings, etc. The CDs don’t scare smaller birds, so they can still drink and bathe. The CDs add a sparkler of whimsy as they twirl similar to more expensive garden ornaments. They can also be hung in nooks and crannies to keep the pigeons from nesting around eaves, etc.

David D.

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

$$$ SAVERS (Using VET\’s)

Visit the Country

I live in the suburbs of a large metropolitan area. My sister lives in a rural area, just 10 minutes from my house. My pet recently needed veterinarian care and she suggested her rural vet. I called around and I saved $150 by using her vet over the one down the street. This was well worth the trip! Apparently he makes most of his money on livestock, not household pets.

Teresa E.

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Aromatherapy for DOGS ?? you bet!

Cool Site for aromatherapy for dogs..

I can also agree that the Young Living oils are top shelf, and would recommend them. I use them on all my family, as well.

http://www.adogsview.com

TAS, Marcellus NY

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Different type of PET BEDS

Instead of buying pet beds, which are expensive, I buy large pillows for my dogs to lay on. I have gotten some very nice, nearly new ones at local thrift shops for 50 cents each. They look cute on the floor and the dogs love how thick they are.
    Heidi

Heidi, USA

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Winterizing Your Dog\’s House

I’ve found that I can use Mother Nature to assist with insulating my dog kennels and dog house. We are doing fall cleanup and using the fallen leaves in them. They are great insulation and generally easy to clean up. My dogs love to snuggle into the leaves to take a cozy nap. It’s free bedding. What else can you ask for?

Brian B, USA

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Keep Critters from Destroying your Lawn

Lawn and Garden Critters

To control rabbits and possibly other critters from eating your lawn, garden, etc., sprinkle whole coffee beans in the area. Animals are absolutely repelled by the smell of the coffee. One bag of coffee beans is enough to keep rabbits at bay for a few months.

Amy, United States

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

ThunderShirt for Dogs

Our dog Chester becomes very anxious & nervous when we have Thunderstorms. He pants & paces. Then we discovered THUNDERSHIRT.

http://www.thundershirt.com/

It definitely alleviates his anxieties & reduces his panting/pacing & nervousness.
    If you have a dog that doesn\’t like Thunder or storms in general I would definitely recommend the Thundershirt.

Woof !!!

OP2MIST of Ivyland, PA

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Cleaning Pet Collars

Keep your pet collars and leashes clean by placing them in a lingerie bag and securing with a rubber band (so they don\’t accidentally come out of the bag and tangle the wash). Place in regular laundry loads. Do not use bleach, as this fades and affects the integrity of the plastic clips on collars and leads.

Your items will come out clean and ready for immediate use. They dry very quickly. This is for nylon products. There is no need to remove tags, and do not overload the bags. Only put a few in each bag/load.

No more soaking overnight or discolored collars from bleach products.

Frances, Md, USA

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Great Animal Story…. PUPPY SIZE

Puppy Size
    This is one of the neatest stories you will ever hear. You will know precisely what this little girl is talking about at the end (you\’ll want to share this one with your loved ones and special friends)!

\’Danielle
    Keeps repeating it over and over again. We\’ve been back to this animal shelter at least five times. It has been weeks now since we started all of this,\’ the mother told the volunteer.

\’What is it she keeps asking for?\’ the volunteer asked.
    \’Puppy size!\’ replied the mother

\’Well, we have plenty of puppies, if that\’s what she\’s looking for..\’ \’I know….. We have seen most of them, \’ the mom said in frustration…

Just then Danielle came walking into the office
    \’Well, did you find one?\’ asked her mom.

\’No, not this time,\’ Danielle said with sadness in her voice. \’Can we come back on the weekend?\’

The two women looked at each other, shook their heads and laughed
    \’You never know when we will get more dogs. Unfortunately, there\’s always a supply,\’ the volunteer said.

Danielle took her mother by the hand and headed to the door. \’Don\’t worry, I\’ll find one this weekend,\’ she said.

Over the next few days both Mom and Dad had long conversations with her.. They both felt she was being too particular. \’It\’s this weekend or we\’re not looking any more,\’ Dad finally said in frustration.

\’We don\’t want to hear anything more about puppy size, either,\’ Mom added.

Sure enough, they were the first ones in the shelter on Saturday morning .. By now Danielle knew her way around, so she ran right for the section that housed the smaller dogs.

Tired of the routine, mom sat in the small waiting room at the end of the first row of cages. There was an observation window so you could see the animals during times when Visitors weren\’t permitted.

Danielle walked slowly from cage to cage, kneeling periodically to take a closer look.. One by one the dogs were brought out and she held each one.
    One by one she said, \’Sorry, but you\’re not the one.\’

It was the last cage on this last day in search of the perfect pup. The volunteer opened the cage door and the child carefully picked up the dog and held it closely. This time she took a little longer.

\’Mom, that\’s it! I found the right puppy! He\’s the one! I know it!\’ She screamed with joy. \’It\’s the puppy size!\’

\’But it\’s the same size as all the other puppies you held over the last few weeks,\’ Mom said.

\’No not size… The sighs. When I held him in my arms, he sighed,\’ she said. \’Don\’t you remember? When I asked you one day what love is, you told me love depends on the sighs of your heart. The more you love, the bigger the sigh!\’

The two women looked at each other for a moment. Mom didn\’t know whether to laugh or cry. As she stooped down to hug the child, she did a little of both.
    \’Mom, every time you hold me, I sigh. When you and Daddy come home from work and hug each other, you both sigh. I knew I would find the right puppy if it sighed when I held it in my arms,\’ she said. Then, holding the puppy up close to her face, she said, \’Mom, he loves me. I heard the sighs of his heart!\’

Close your eyes for a moment and think about the love that makes you sigh. I not only find it in the arms of my loved ones, but in the caress of a sunset, the kiss of the moonlight and the gentle brush of cool air on a hot day..
    They are the sighs of God. Take the time to stop and listen; you will be surprised at what you hear. \’Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take Our breath away.\’

I hope your life is filled with Sighs!!!

Julie B, Syracuse NY

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Trick to Kill off Mosquitoes

How to Kill Mosquitoes

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children\’s swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don\’t leave home without it….Pass it on.

OUR FRIEND\’S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works – in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn\’t take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn\’t last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don\’t spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house. EARTH FRIENDLY TOO!!!

Norma L, New Jersey

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

How to GET RID of Mosquitoes

Here in Florida, we have had a terrible time with all the mosquitoes, despite all efforts to eliminate through community spraying. Then a friend told me to try something, and it works for me! Simply pour Listerine(r) into an empty spray bottle and spray your vulnerable areas like your neck, arms, hands, etc.

Anne M, Florida

Smile Therapy
    Keymaster

Dealing with Fruit Flies

I worked at a bar where fruit flies were a problem. We put a small amount of red wine into a shallow dish, covered it with plastic wrap, and then poked a hole into it. This ”fly trap” worked so good that it had to be changed every couple of days.

Arturo, USA

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.